Can My Child Benefit From Occupational Therapy Services ?
If your child has challenges in the following areas wE CAN HELP...
** Fine motor coordination and hand function
** Visual skills and perception
** self help and daily living
** Feeding including eating, chewing, swallowing, picky eaters
Sensory Processing Disorder: a neurophysiologic condition in which sensory input either from the environment or from one’s body is poorly detected, modulated, or interpreted and/or to which atypical responses are observed. Pioneering occupational therapist, psychologist, and neuroscientist A. Jean Ayres, Ph.D., likened SPD to a neurological “traffic jam” that prevents certain parts of the brain from receiving the information needed to interpret sensory information correctly.
Types: 1. Sensory Modulation
2. Sensory Discrimination
3. Sensory Based Motor Challenges.
Does my Child have a Sensory Processing Disorder or Delay?
10 Common Signs of Sensory Processing Disorder
1. Extra Sensitive to touch-doesn't like to be touched or can't be touched enough
2. Sensitivity to Sounds-May cover ears when same noise doesn't bother others
3. Picky Eaters-will only eat two or three familiar foods
4. Avoidance of sensory stimulation-won't put hands in anything messy such as glue, clay,
mud; will only wear certain clothing or texture.
5. Uneasy with Movement-fear amusement park rides, playground equipment or being upside down
6. Hyperactivity-can't be still during day or get to sleep at night
7. Fear of Crowds-crowded areas bother them to point of frequent public meltdowns
8. Poor Fine and Gross Motor Skills-trouble with handwriting, kicking a ball
9. Excess Risk Taking-unaware of touch or pain which can come across as aggressive
10. Trouble with Balance-accident prone or fall more often than others and prefer sedentary activities.
Learn More: Symptoms of Sensory Processing Disorder
How To Refer My Child for Services
Contact our office at 858-254-1243 for a phone consultation to determine if your child can benefit from services and to discuss types of services, fees and payment options.
We accept Private pay, Private insurance or provide low cost screenings. We accept PPO's and some in-network co.
****** NOW IN NETWORK with BLUE ShIELD, TRICARE and IEHP Direct. Look for PROVIDER under Deborah Kempston, if NOT under Home Grown OT 4 kids.
Educational support may be available through your child's school to provide assessment, consultation, screens or small group readiness classes.
HOME GROWN OT 4 KIDS
Pediatric Occupational Therapy Services